Monday, January 4, 2010

I'm a big girl now

I've been shocked by how well received the chart and pattern recipe for Bella's New Moon Vest has been! Since I posted it on the first, it's been "faved" 177 times and is in 53 ques. I guess I forgot how many other knitters love seeing knitted garments in movies, and want them for themselves. So today I spent a large amount of my afternoon adjusting the chart, searching Knit Picks for the closest colors, and looking for vest patterns that match the shape of Kristen Stewart's vest the closest...all so that I could improve the PDF. (If I ever figure out where to upload a PDF so that I can just add a link to it directly on Ravelry, I'll be a happy woman.) I went into the chart and changed the background color to brown, and added symbols to the chart so that some of the charts with similar colors can be differentiated. I wanted the charts to be more black & white printer friendly for people like myself who can't print in color very often. I also added a list of materials, and I listed some basic instructions regarding how to use the charts with a vest pattern to achieve a close reproduction of the original vest. There was one photo that showed a single panel of what looked like chocolate brown diamonds with on a lavender background, just under the bust. I found a photo of Kristen standing up facing the camera, but it's blurry so I did the best I could with that chart. It looks like that's the only place where the lavender panel is used in the vest. I also used that photo to find the start of the pattern, and I've corrected the charts to match up better to the original vest.

Now, I finished the body of my Ivy League vest tonight, and tomorrow I'll be taking a crack at seeming the shoulders and weaving in the millions of ends before I suck up the nerve to steek the vest. I also have to finish reading the first chapter for my Child and Adolescent Psychology class, and I hope to have time tomorrow afternoon while I'm working alone for the first time. I'm a big girl now, and hopefully I don't screw it up too badly...but I can call the owners if I need to and they expect me to so I won't feel too bad about it. Come visit if you're in the area... Save me from weaving in an unbelievable amount of ends, and getting to buried in homework.

No comments: